Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Should have gone broke; ended up winning

This is what probably should have been the last hand in the tournament where I came back from 190 chips to win all 67,500. Let me know what you think of how I played this.

Blinds: 30-60
Site: Full Tilt Poker
Dealt to Hero:8♠ 5♠

1 player folds.
herejohnny calls [60]
lucky60 calls [60]
1 player folds.
killemall808 calls [60]
1 player folds.

There is now 270 in the pot (including 30 of mine) and I have 160 behind. I could wait for a few hands and try to get my last 160 in heads-up, but I think this is a great opportunity to shove.

No one has shown strength. The BB has a random hand and will likely fold. What I'm really hoping for is one caller, which would make the pot 560. That means I would be betting 160 to try to win a pot of 400 — which means I'm getting great odds unless someone has an overpair. And I'm not buying an overpair with three limps.


Hero raises to 190, and is all in
1 player folds.
herejohnny raises to 740, and is all in 
2 players fold.
herejohnny shows: A♠ K♥ 
Hero shows: 8♠ 5♠

Got my wish. I am a 3-2 underdog, but I was getting 2 1/2 to 1 on my bet.

Flop: 8♥ J♠ 4♠

Uh. Wow. Not a bad flop for my trash hand, eh?

Turn: 6♠
River: 9♦ herejohnny shows Ace King high 
Hero shows a flush, Jack high 
Hero wins the pot (560) with a flush, Jack high

Of course, I still had a ton of work to do from here, but if I lose this hand I never see my first royal flush … or any money.

Current bankroll: $1,524 (first time over $1,500)

OPR ranking: 98.13

2 comments:

cactus jack said...

I don't like it. If the first limper doesn't reraise all-in to isolate, you're probably getting looked up by the other two as well. You just don't have enough to scare anybody out. Even though everybody just limped, three people have shown interest in playing the hand. If they only have to pay 160 more, they're going to play. Although, it would help to know everyone's stack size.

The SS said...

Yeah. If I were writing a poker strategy book, I wouldn't start with this hand. Of course, I wouldn't start with any hand where I had 0.003 percent of the chips.

But I didn't see the point in folding and trying to get heads up with someone in an attempt to double up to 320 or 350. I figured if anyone folded, there would be dead money in the pot. And I assumed that most people who would call would have overcards, which meant mine would be live. Rather do it with 8-5 than K-T. Know what I mean?

Yeah. Stack sizes would help, too. My bad.